More Re: [TenTec] Orion redefines the meaning of ... AGC OFF

K3BU at aol.com K3BU at aol.com
Sat Feb 7 17:46:27 EST 2004

btippett at alum.mit.edu writes:
>>I do find NR makes a huge difference in background noise on my unit
using the above dummy load in both CW and SSB independent of the AGC
setting (including Off), so I'm puzzled by your comments about NR.<<

Sure it kills the noise, but also weak in-the-noise signal too. I could hear
weak signal (with noise) better without NR than with NR at any setting. That
was SSB.
DSP is just "painting" this internal noise with invisible paint, but the
threshold is still there, just "invisible."

Yuri, K3BU.us