More Re: [TenTec] Orion redefines the meaning of ... AGC OFF

Jim Reid jimr.reid at verizon.net
Sun Feb 8 12:27:08 EST 2004

Carl,  N4PY, wrote,  in part:

> Same test with Orion at 28.6 mhz and preamp off.  Large
> difference in background noise with antenna connected
> verses not connected.  The Orion has more than enough
> overall gain.  And by the way, I am at a very quiet
> location out in the country here.  I am using my 8 element log
> periodic at 22 meters for the antenna for this test.

Using my Force 12 C3,  2 elements on 10 meters,  I cannot
repeat what Carl has reported;  however,  with my BigIR
vertical tuned to 10 meters I can !  In order to hear a noise
increase with the C3,  I must have the preamp ON.  I have
the AGC threshold set fairly high 50 uV,  as I assume that means
no AGC action anywhere near the antenna input noise level,
corrent?  Or,  should I have the threshold very low instead?

Not sure if all the above says is that the vertical has a much
higher noise level than the C3,  or that my particular Orion
does not have enough gain,  as Carl reports his evidently has.
Or,  perhaps the log periodic inputs more noise than my little
C3?

A bit confused about all this now,  hi.

73,  Jim  KH7M