More Re: [TenTec] 10m comparison, was Orion redefines

ac5e at comcast.net ac5e at comcast.net
Sun Feb 8 23:08:56 EST 2004

While connecting and disconnecting antennas in this shack, which has 10 pounds of gear in a 2 pound room, is more than a little inconvenient - but setting the AGC for a slight reduction in band noise on the quad.....

My Orion has a low level of smooth white noise on 28.500.0 USB, preamp off, AGC FAST, 80 db/s, threshold 11.86 microvolts, RF gain at 100, switched to the dummy load. No signals are apparent.

Turning the first antenna selector to the Tennadyne T8, pointed at 90 degrees or due east, otherwise all settings the same, results in a great deal of band noise - but still no signals.

Turning the first antenna selector to the quad and the second to the 10M loop results in somewhat less band noise, with all settings the same. But still no signals.

Turning the first antenna selector to the vertical results in a great deal of noise, all Orion settings the same. No signals.

Changing frequency to find a signal to compare one antenna to the other....

There is currently a barely perceptable PY on 28.019.79 at 130 degrees on the quad. It is imperceptable on either the T8 or the vertical. Adjusting the RF gain to 63 makes it pop out of the noise, and become quite copyable. At 130 degrees on the T8, nothing but band noise. Same with the vertical.

Selecting the other operating position with the switch, changing rigs to an MP, the PY is also undetectable. I do not have an Elcraft to compare it with, but from prior rig shootouts I am confident the results would be the same.

Bottom line - the Orion has plenty of gain, even on 10M.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E