[TenTec] Hanging Black Crepe

John Rippey w3uls at 3n.net
Wed Feb 11 20:39:14 EST 2004

 From Scott Robbins:

"John:

I know you didn't mean it the way it sounded - - - "

Apparently my "black crepe" reference was read by some to mean a funeral is
looming for Ten-Tec. What I said about the future of T-T is that it's
engaged in "somewhat of a gamble" with its present product lineup. That is
irrefutable.

The crepe referred to the departure of Doug Smith. I do not believe that
people of his skill set are a dime a dozen. Someone said CEO's change too,
and that they do. Frankly, a CEO can be found via a search firm in very
little time; on the other hand, someone like Doug Smith--a guy who has
specialized in designing cutting edge ham radio circuits--is not so easily
replaced.

I'm glad to hear from Scott that Allan's still around because I believe he
had a hand in the development of the Argonaut V, which is a very fine rig.
I'm also glad (relieved?) to hear that there is stuff in the pipeline.

With reference to the point that I sound like I have no recent experience
in the real world: guilty as charged. When I was employed, I was located
inside the Washington, D.C. beltway. By no means is that the real world.
However, I had a great time, was never bored, and enjoyed some modest
successes from time to time. Ham radio is a radical--and refreshing--change
from what I was doing for a living.

Thanks, Scott, for your measured responses.

73,
John, W3ULS