[TenTec] Problems with latest firmware download

ac5e at comcast.net ac5e at comcast.net
Sun Feb 15 16:14:05 EST 2004

Hi Rick: I had a royal pain in the settin' down place the first time I tried downloading firmware also. Here's what I finally wound up doing.

Using Windows XP Home, I don't "save" the download, I "open" it. The first time, I just let Windows send the opened files to where Windows wants to send them, the second time and later it finds the Orion directory no problem. So the unzipped file is in C:\TTOrion instead of WUTemp or some such place the OS can't find.

When it's finished downloading the update, Windows asks me what I want to do with it, so I "install" it in the Orion update directory. When I'm ready to update I go to the start menu, to the "Ten Tec Orion Update" listing, click, and get an "update" icon.  Click on that, get the Orion ready to update the firmware, then click on "process," and select the version I want to install from the list. (Yes, I have versions back to day 1).

Wait and watch the numbers whiz by. If something goes amiss and the download does not complete, repeat the process but reload the previous update getting back to a known point. Then redo the download and try again. Every time I have had problems the byte count was different between the original download and the successful one, so either I had a bad download or a bad unzip. I don't know which, but this procedure has worked FB for me.

Hope this helps es 73  Pete Allen  AC5E