[TenTec] Orion spot ?

ac5e at comcast.net ac5e at comcast.net
Thu Feb 19 20:04:58 EST 2004

Hi Rich, in reverse order -

If your filters are set to "auto" at the top of the filter menu they will be progressively engaged as you reduce your bandwidth. That is, I get 2.4, 1.8, 500, and 250 Hz roofing filters, in that order, as I narrow the bandwidth. They kick in somewhat below the indicated frequency, where depends on the filter. There's a horizontal line above the bandwidth icon that indicates which of the roofing filters in engaged at any given time. Wider line is wider filter, of course.

On spot - a couple of friends and I tried that. We found that I can set my spot to (nearly) zero beat another station, crank the BW down to 100 and he will still be in the center of my recieved passband. When I call him I'm usually virtually zero beat with him - unless HIS RIT/XIT has been cranked. And in that event all bets are off!

This may or may not be handy - if the DX does not come back to you try moving 10 to 20 Hz at a time, up and down, until he can pick you out of the pile.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E