[TenTec] Re: TenTec Digest, Vol 14, Issue 68 - Sensitivity Issues

Allan Henry Kaplan w1ael at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 25 11:45:55 EST 2004

Yuri, K3BU/C6AYB (great mnemonic for that C6 call, Yuri!) wrote,

“Does it mean that you can only win with Orion? How about
congratulations to me …placing on the top of NA Low Power category,
using, get  this….”

Yuri’s rhetorical and sarcastic question is, of course, ridiculous.

He certainly deserves congratulations on his Jamaica-based contest
exploits with a compact and economical station, but he might consider
looking for such accolades in another forum than here in the reflector
for the Ten-Tec Worshippers Cult !

More seriously, I must rebut his hasty and not well-thought out response
to my suggestion for a practical determination of receiver sensitivity.
  He writes,

“…But take that receiver to the ocean front, put directional antennas on
it, use specialized receiving antennas and you will find that you NEED
gain on low bands. Or beaming with good directional antenna north, away
from the equatorial noise and try to dig those 10 W JA novices. You can
use every uV you can scramble….”

“…you NEED gain on low bands….”    Let us not confuse GAIN with sensitivity!

Yuri, the sensitivity test I suggest remains a valid one for your DX
venue!

Perform it in that environment, under those conditions, and you might
find that you can use greater sensitivity.   The ‘antenna on/off test’
pertains directly to the environment of the receiving site.  The
overwhelming majority of urban, suburban, and most rural amateurs all
over the planet do not have anything like the quiet situation you
describe!

Performing the sensitivity test I suggest really DOES YIELD VALID
RESULTS FOR A RECEIVER AND ANTENNA SYSTEM IN ITS ENVIRONMENT.  To the
extent that location, frequency, and antenna may mitigate atmospheric
noise, a system that has maximum useable sensitivity for the vast
majority of radio amateurs might be found wanting in a very rare
situation.  Please accept my apology for not making that clearer.   The
relatively noise-free situation you postulate is an “imaginary reality”
for most designers and contest operators alike.

You win – it takes much larger luggage to tote ORION to far away places!
   One must reasonably evaluate a transceiver for one’s particular
situation and needs.  There are much prettier radios than ORION, and
though I am a charter member of the Cult, I really hate the color of the
cabinet and panel!

73, Yuri and all.   Allan, W1AEL.