[TenTec] "PTT CW" vs. PTT-controlled CW redux

kd4d at comcast.net kd4d at comcast.net
Fri Feb 27 19:23:20 EST 2004

Hi Scott:

Thanks for the information, but I'm afraid I didn't understand your
posting.  I think this is largely semantics, but let me ask a couple
of questions so we are speaking the same language.

1.  How can you defeat QSK in the Orion and operate PTT CW?  What
does PTT CW mean in this context?

2.  I understand, and have used, semi-break-in CW.  Many Japanese
rigs call it "VOX."  There's a VOX DELAY which they set (very
similar to the TenTec QSK DELAY) to control it.  The same setting
often applies to both SSB and CW operation.

I see the difference between PTT and semi-break-in in CW and
PTT verses VOX in SSB as the exact same issue.  I don't see
an equivalent to QSK for SSB.

I clearly don't understand what you mean by PTT for CW.
Is it something different than PTT for SSB?

3.  What is "PTT Control" of CW?  I don't understand this.

BTW, I used an Orion in the 160 contest.  What I did was to
let the Orion operate QSK and fed the computer PTT signal
directly to the amplifier.  Other than rather loud sidetone
key clicks on CW, which I normally didn't hear because I was
listening to the other radio, it worked fine.  I'm not sure
I managed to use the AGC to best advantage, but I'll learn!

The only real issue I see is having to reconfigure between
SSB, where PTT goes to the Orion from the computer/DVP/DVK,
and CW, where PTT goes to the amplifier from the computer.

Thanks and 73.

Mark, KD4D