[TenTec] Orion for Contesting

Robert Higgins RHIGGINS1 at CFL.RR.COM
Fri Jan 2 15:07:08 EST 2004

I am not a subscriber to this reflector, but I am looking for help.

I have been on the fence about buying an Orion as my main contest radio for over a year now, even going so far as to order one but canceling.

I would like to hear from contesters who have seriously used (not just a few QSO's) the Orion in a major contest (SS, CQWW, etc.).

What are your observations? What radio did it replace? Any A/B comparisons, or experience using the Orion  along side other radios (SO2R, multi-op)?

If your comments are going to be "Look at the specs, its a great receiver", or "W4PA scored XXX million points using an Orion", or "The YCCC ordered 20 Orions", please save the band width. These are valid points, but I already know them.

I'm looking for input from serious contesters who have used the Orion in a real contest.

I guess I'm looking for a push over the edge. I still haven't seen many (in my personal experience any that I know) contesters make the switch from the current contest favorite, a version of the FT1000. A few have switched to the IC756 Pro II, but I digress.

All comments will be taken at face value and will be helpful.

73 Bob K4LW