[TenTec] Orion in SO2R

Bob Henderson bob at cytanet.com.cy
Sat Jan 3 21:52:45 EST 2004

Grant Youngman wrote:

>>altogether pedestrian rate. When you change band from the front panel
>>or under computer control it takes about two seconds for the frequency
>>readout to update.
>>

>I did some testing there, and although I don't currently have my remote
>connection plugged in, band change from the panel appears to be well
>under one second, including the time required to actually depress the
>band button.  I can't make it take two seconds no matter what I do.

There may well be differences with different firmware revisions, I don't
know.  I am using 1.366.  On my Orion, band change itself is quite
quick, it's the time to update the frequency display having instigated a
band change that takes rather longer.  In any event, I didn't draw
attention to this as a problem of great significance in its own right
but as a symptom of a more fundamental issue.  Niggles but not stoppers,
I believe I suggested.

>>copy them.  It's an art you fellas will understand and one which I
>>have been unable to practice with the Orion, because the choppiness
>>

>of
>

>>the synthesiser
>>

>This effect is certainly there.  One thing that exacerbates it is sweep,
>which seems to consume a good bit of processor resources.  Running
>with sweep off significantly reduces the magnitude of the effect as you
>have described it, although it doesn't eliminate it.

I don't use the band scope.  It's just an unecessary additional overhead
on a system that's already straining.

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F