[TenTec] Orion Filter Controls

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jan 5 11:39:15 EST 2004

N5TW wrote:
 >To show my ignorance, I can't tell
the difference between the hi-cut function and the BW knob.   One seems to
be able to undo the effects of the other with no other things changing.

         Tom, I've had my Orion since August 21, and to be perfectly candid,
I do not understand what CUT actually buys for you.  I never use it on
either CW or SSB, and this includes full SOSB10 efforts in both modes
of the CQ WW.  I mostly adjust only BW, PBT on SSB only (fixed at +150)
which allows 1800 Hz filters to work properly, and NEVER touch CUT.
Maybe someone can explain what the advantage of CUT is to me, but TT
could just as well have omitted it for my use.  It seems to me that
with both BW and PBT, CUT is redundant.  BTW, I've also never found
similar controls on the TS-930S or FT-1000MP to be useful.  Must have
something to do with the way I operate.

         Perhaps someone who really likes CUT can tell me what it will do
that BW/PBT cannot do.  Surely I'm missing something.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV