[TenTec] Off topic: Paul's wire loop antenna report ground wave

Stuart Rohre rohre at arlut.utexas.edu
Thu Jan 8 18:56:19 EST 2004

Paul, Ground Wave not there above 3 MHz?  It is there, in fact an antenna we
developed here at the research lab did Ground wave near 10m band out to 100
miles!  That was with the Folded Conical Helical invented by Dr. Robert L.
Rogers and team, which they call the FLEX antenna. We also did it with some
helical 10m ham sticks, and with a half wave 10m antenna, (vertical).   This
was done over salt water.  Ground wave exists for all frequencies.  It is
what works your simplex modes at 2m, etc.

There are noise issues at one frequency vs. others, but ground wave on HF is
very useable.  Incidentally, our testing was at 5 Watts Pactor II.
73,
Stuart Rohre
K5KVH