[TenTec] Off topic: Paul's wire loop antenna report ground wave

Ron Zond k3miy at csonline.net
Fri Jan 9 07:57:33 EST 2004

Rob and group

There is a ground wave, and there is a space wave. The groundwave loses its
effectiveness at about 3 MHz. due to dielectric losses. If ionospheric
propagation is not available at  14 MHz and above,  communication over a
limited distance is still possible via the space wave. This component
travels at the height of the antenna, and can provide communications at a
limited distance. If the antenna is raised higher, the signal will travel
further, just as VHF signals do.Also, the groundwave is more apparent when
using a vertical antenna at low frequencies, which is one of the reasons
broadcast stations use them.

Ron
K3MIY