[TenTec] Thoughts about the "Windom" or OCF antenna

Rick Westerman Rick at dj0ip.de
Mon Jan 12 11:56:00 EST 2004

Hi Darin,

Been there, done that.  Tried most of the stuff you mention.

I recommend, as others have already said, a center fed dipole.

If you make the length the same as recommended by G5RV (about 27m
in total), it will probably present more favorable loads to your
matchbox than a full-size 80m dipole fed with the open wire.
However, I do not recommend inserting the balun at a specified
point (as G5RV recommends) and then continuing with coax.  I
suggest running the openwire all the way to the shack.  If you
get real unlucky, you might have to play with feedline lengths to
get desired results on all bands.  "Good" lengths are suggested
on the DXE pages.

A great antenna, though rarely used (as far as I have seen and
heard) is a vertical dipole fed with openwire.  I began using
this with a total length of 10m (2x 5m legs) about 12 years ago.
About 4 years ago I switched to a total length of 12m.  With the
high bands going out in the near future, you might even want to
use a total length of 14 to 16 meters.  This antenna has several
advantages.  It radiates equally well in all directions with a
low angle takeoff, yet you do not need radials.  Of course the
low angle radiation makes it less than favorable for local rag
chews.

Final suggestion: Using an external balun enables you to avoid
possibly burning out something within your matchbox - which
causes extra repair time. I stopped using the internal balun on
matchboxes after burning the first one out.  Exception: OK to use
a 100w built-in balun for QRP work, or a Kilowatt balun for 100w
work.  Otherwise, keep it outside.  That way you can control the
situation by placing your hand on it to check the temperature.

Final - Final suggestion:  The only good place to use a balun
(when using open wire feedline) is between the TX and the
matchbox (not between the matchbox and the feedline).  However,
if the matchbox was not designed like this (only in the most
recent designs are), you will need to take very special care to
keep things insulated (floating above ground).  This is the only
method which assures the balun sees its design impedances on both
sides, thus insuring it will operate as designed.

Gud luck and have fun!

73
Rick