[TenTec] K3BU Orion Review @ eham.net

K3BU at aol.com K3BU at aol.com
Mon Jan 12 12:36:08 EST 2004

In a message dated 1/12/04 10:39:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
warrenw at pentek.com writes:
>>I guess Yuri doesn't think the Orion is that bad, he gave it a 4 out of 5
on Eham.net!<<

Howdy esteemed TT worshipers!

Let me try to 'splain few things, maybe it will help. I think that Orion is
remarkable in number of areas, so far in my review I have looked at ergonomics
from the contesters point of view and I stated what I think of it, based on
what I know and need, what I have seen on other radios and for what price. Most
contesters, judging from the response and comments so far agree and even add
few quirks that they see should be taken care of. Those TT cult worshippers,
that see the emperor in nice clothes, happy with what they have, need no more,
just enjoy it.

If this "amazing" radio is aimed at contesters at $3.6k, then I have thing or
two to say and it should be appreciated by the manufacturer if they want to
serve that competitive market. If they "know better" than I rest my case and I
can stop right there, enjoy what you have and keep switching your PTT
connections. I will do some more testing on TX and RXs and see where the Orion stands
among the rest. If I find it worth keeping, perhaps modifying, I will. If TT
listens to us and keeps improving, more and better. For now it might be a great
radio for the CQing rig for two radio setup when you don't need to twiddle
the knobs and menus. The point of pointing out some ergonomics shortfalls is
that for another $50 (saved on no sub RX sweep?) of investment in components,
this $3.6k radio could feel like is worth it.

The whole exercise is to help TT and us (contesters) to have better radio for
the money. If that is contrary to TT goals and W4PA knows better than bunch
of us, paying consumers, then I rest my case and fuggetaboutit. I hope I can
provide unbiased reviews that will help potential buyers to make wise selection
of the rig for their use and budget. If you have any comments and suggestions,
or corrections, please let me know. Comments like by NQ5T don't help anybody.

Orion is a great rig, but has many rough edges, some were already taken care
of, I hope rest or most will be and it grows to be the #1 radio of serious
Ham. In the past, TenTec failed that mission. Just pause in hallelujahs and look
into pictures of contest shacks with piles of radios and see how many TTs are
there.

Lets get real!

73  Yuri