[TenTec] Quieting fan

Gary Hoffman ghoffman at spacetech.com
Mon Jan 19 19:10:00 EST 2004

Martin,

The problem with air is that to cool a space as small as a chip, and yet
remove perhaps 80 watts of power from that confined space, requires
substantial amounts of air.  This is more than can be moved through the
small passages unless you use high pressure.  The thermodynamics just don't
work out.

That's why you use liquids instead.  Of course, you must use materials
(additives) that prevent the growth of the green things (although of course
actual green stuff doesn't grow in the absence of light).  Still, other
things do grow, but additives prevent this.

A good source of chilling is to use a Thermoelectric cooler.  This is easily
done with the DC power supplies we all have in the shack.