[TenTec] Rack mount kits for 253 Tuner & Hercules II (and OMNI V, VI, etc)

w8au at sssnet.com w8au at sssnet.com
Tue Jan 20 21:46:26 EST 2004

At 04:16 AM 01/20/2004, Molly B Good wrote:
>Hi Chip, I am lookin for a rack mount for a 425 Titan.
>If I hear of any you need in my search, I'll give you a shout.
>Herm Meyer....KC2DFJ
>
> > I am looking for rack mount kits for the 253 Tuner and Hercules II. I do
>not
> > need the enclosure just the rack mount kits.

Chip & Herm:

You can also make your own by picking up two 3RU blank rack panels.
(3RU means 3 Rack Units, or 1 3/4" X 3 = 5 1/4" height)
They come in either aluminum or steel.

You need two per cabinet.  Make a right angle bend on each panel at
the point where it will make up the difference in width to reach 19 inches.
For example:  The Herc II is 12 inches wide.   Each side panel needs
to be bent at the 3.5 inch mark.   (3.5 + Herc II + 3.5 = 19")

Be sure, however, to make allowances for the thickness of the rack panels
when judging where to bend for the exact 3.5 inch width.  A 1/8" thick
panel will add that much extra to the overall width after bending.

The rack panels then mount on the rigs at the four side screws that hold the
top and bottom panels.   Mark and drill the holes for these.

Paint your panels TT Grey,  add black handles to the fronts of the new panels
and you have it!

If you don't feel comfortable bending your own panels, take them to a nearby
machine shop.  They should have a metal brake that would do a nice job.

Have fun,

Perry    w8au