[TenTec] Basic Radio

Larry Greenberg N5BEA larrylg1 at excite.com
Thu Jan 22 19:06:19 EST 2004

TenTec has always been my favorite mostly because of their accessibility.  I talked to the same factory tech, the same guy last that had had spoken to 15 or 20 years ago. Simple solid quality HF communication.  Guys you can talk to.   Way back when QRP guys were thought of as "nerdy" AMers were considered  purists, about "79 or '80.  I was was told by "those in the know" that 20 meters was the place for beams and high power.  So I got my first Argonaut and worked lots of DX even rare on a ground mounted  coke bottle vertical. As things progressed I got my New Argosy.  I will never for a QSO with a particular station in D.C.   "Hey Old Man, I usually don't answer CQ's. You have such a devastating signal and audio,   I just  had to know what you are are running."  I was on the vertical again running my new Argosy.  But, before he would let me say very much he had to brag on all his gear it was quite humorous. He was on Drake C Line and went in to detail then he had to explain t
 hat station was only his backup rig.. His Main Station the complete Collins S Line On and on and on.  Then he went into another dissertation about having a huge log periodic on top of the 40 story condo in which he lived.   After a couple more exchanges about my devastating signal etc.  I told the truth. "I'm running 50 watts into a vertical at ground level."His response.  " Sorry Old Man" You are breaking up badly" I am having trouble copying" So now I have gone from an Argosy to a little more modern Scout.  I have read that it was TenTec's best selling rig ever.  There is no replacement. I guess the new 20 watt Argonaut comes close.  But, what is on the the drawing board to replace the Scout or the Argosy? With or without computer support, there is a definite niche..  The logical step would be Something like a Scout 2.  But, why not?Larry GreenbergN5BEA