[TenTec] Orion vs. Yaesu FT-1000D

ac5e at comcast.net ac5e at comcast.net
Sat Jan 24 11:42:57 EST 2004

The Orion slow to catch on? Not if my usually accurate memory is correct.

The FT1000D was introduced just before I got back into the hobby, when Kenwood's 940 was pretty much top dog with Icom a distant second. It was at least four years before any great number of contesters/DXers migrated to Yaesu. Even then, the consensus was to go with the D, the MP was considered a dog. How times change!!!

It takes time for most people to accept new things; just as it takes time to work a new high end rig into the budget.  I suspect the Orion will become de rigeur in due time. I note a couple of the hams who have TOL rigs and tried my Orion are planning a change - just as soon as the household treasurer gives the go signal.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E