[TenTec] Orion vs. Yaesu FT-1000D

Billy Cox aa4nu at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jan 24 14:16:32 EST 2004

>The Orion slow to catch on?
>Not if my usually accurate memory is correct.

Me thinks your "usually accurate memory" needs a rest ... B-)

>The FT1000D was introduced just before I got back into
>the hobby, when Kenwood's 940 was pretty much top dog
>with Icom a distant second. It was at least four years before
>any great number of contesters/DXers migrated to Yaesu.

Actually the 940's reign on top was not so great ... it offered
PC control over the 930s ... but introduced "phase noise" ...

The IC765 became more of the rig of choice ... a good
solid RELIABLE design ... with many still in use.

When the D was first introduced the PROM did not allow
for software control ... and that did delay it's acceptance
for a few months, but not "at least four years" ...

>Even then, the consensus was to go with the D, the MP was
>considered a dog. How times change!!!

Sorry Pete, you lose marks here ... the MP didn't come out
until 1995 ... so "even then" is way off the mark. For some
the D works better, for others the MP ... for others 1 of each.

HINT: Read N4ZR's database site as to what the top stations
are running ... and ask where are all the Omni VI's?

With time, the Orion could very well become the rig of choice,
but as many serious to semi-serious posts indicate ... today
may still not be that day. But I believe the potential is there.

As NQ5T stated ... ALL of our individual posts represent
no more than a sampling of one ... B-)

Have a great weekend,

73 Billy AA4NU