[TenTec] IF DSP vs. AF DSP

whip wilson bigbaldbull at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 28 07:29:01 EST 2004

Dave,
  I don't really understand it either but here goes:

1. af dsp is audio frequency digital signal processing
and takes place in the audio section of the radio the
last amplification or cicuit in the radio. Therefore
it is after the IF stage and it includes any noise
generated in the other stages.
2 IF dsp is when it filters the intermediate frequency
stage of the radio after the RF frequency stage. it
tends to have less noise in it at this point.
3 The latest is Roofing filters that do their thing in
the first rf stage therby have the least noise when
filtering. And that is what makes the Orion so nice!
It does make a difference I have had both the jupiter
and the orion and the roofing filters are the best way
cool!
  I have had no experience with af DSP so caan't give
to much actual experience but wouls assume that it
would be the least desireable of the Three and when
looking at IF dsp look for the nuber of filters
available it is important.
--- "Kreinberg, David" <DKreinberg at necinfrontia.com>