[TenTec] IF DSP vs. AF DSP

Ben K8DIT benk8dit at serv.net
Wed Jan 28 08:04:51 EST 2004

David,

Yes, however there are some well documented things to work around when you
make a transition. I had the 570 DG and have the Jupiter. Your efforts will
be rewarded by controls that work unlike anything you have come to expect.
CW sigs will jump up and out at you unlike conventional IF controls. SSB
sigs
can be narrowed and copied in narrower bandwidth settings than in a
conventional reciever and further control with the passband tuning while
still sounding good. The NR feature further enhances what the IF DSP is able
to do with a signal with close in QRM and QRN.

The Jupiter/Pegasus is a dramatic departure from conventional IF controls.
The 570 is a refined conventional radio. Most ops are very happy with its
performance. The Jupiter takes some re-learning as you begin to use it. Some
think it could look and be beefier than it is, nevertheless a high quality
product. Ops who have done the learning curve are often converts to the Ten
Tec culture which some think is not a good place to be in light of current
trends. One of my ham friends compares it to owning a Volvo. I dont own a
Volvo.