[TenTec] Orion Power Out Problems

john, ke5c ke5c at hot.rr.com
Fri Jan 30 18:43:48 EST 2004

> Have seen mention of spontaneous, sudden, without
> warning, loss of power out episodes in the Orions.
> They are resolved (at least mine are) by power
> off/on cycle. I am assuming this is a software not
> hardware issue, am I right?  Seemingly not related
> to SWR. I seem to remember (can't find the message
> right now), that some folks think it is linked to use
> of SWEEP function. Has that been confirmed?

if your sweep was on, this is a known gremlin they are trying to track down,
1.367 included.  when it has happened to me, i noticed the indicated swr was
like 5 or 6:1.  after power cycling, this fault clears.  if you have this
happen to you again, you might note the swr - or any other anomoly that
might contain a clue for tentec - and e-mail that information to them.  i
was also pushing buttons to change the audio settings, vfo's, and antennas
around at the time in the cq160 contest.  they'll catch it.

73, john