[TenTec] Omni VI+: ZERO drift

John Clifford johnclif at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jul 3 01:21:29 EDT 2004

Look thru the archives for the exact crystal numbers I used if you are
upgrading an Omni VI, or VI Opt1 or 2.  It's not just the crystal freq, it
is also the ability to be able to 'bend' the crystal via capacitance to the
correct frequencies for the different modes.

Re the TXCO, this is a VERY easy upgrade also... takes about 30 minutes
including removing the Logic Board from the radio, and I find it does help
frequency stability, but the big difference will be found in the BFO
crystals.

I wonder why Ten-Tec didn't use a PPL circuit on this board to tie the BFO
freqs into the master ref freq (crystal oscillator).  I wonder how hard it
would be to redesign the board (or design a replacement) that does, so that
the VI could be made as stable as the master ref freq (and some people have
adapted the HP GPS freq references so you could be within 1 Hz).

 - jgc

John Clifford KD7KGX

Heathkit HW-9 WARC/HFT-9/HM-9
Elecraft K2 #1678 /KSB2/KIO2/KBT2/KAT2/KNB2/KAF2/KPA100
Ten-Tec Omni VI/Opt1, Centaur, 238B
Alinco DR-605TQ, DJ-V5
Icom T90A

IRLP #3978