[TenTec] Why is the Jupiter Better?

John Rippey w3uls at 3n.net
Wed Jul 7 19:25:42 EDT 2004

Re: firmware updates. A Ten-Tec rep told me some time ago that the Argonaut
is a finished product and no further updates will be forthcoming. I don't
know whether this injunction applies to the Jupiter as well. (I wonder what
Ten-Tec IS working on?)

The IC-746PRO so far as I know is completely satisfactory as is, meaning
there has been no need for any correctives/add-ons. Transmit failure has
been a problem for some owners' units, not for mine, which has an early
serial number. The (very good) receiver of the 746 PRO is essentially that
of the 756PRO II with some slight front-end enhancement. QSK was improved
over the PRO II as well. Transmit IMD3 (worst case) of -26 dB is nothing
Icom should be proud of, however, and the noise blanker is primitive.

73,
John, W3ULS