[TenTec] Why is the Jupiter Better?

ac5e at comcast.net ac5e at comcast.net
Wed Jul 7 20:53:35 EDT 2004

There's a vast difference between a given radios "update lifespan" and the radio's actual lifespan. The first easily described, when the firmware is acceptable to as many users as possible within the limitations of the original hardware and the market for new units is still sufficently large to merit further development and refinement.
It is inevitable that software/firmware development will cease at some point. However, if there's a demand you can pretty well assume some enterprising soul can and will take up the burden of further development.
 The second comes when the unit breaks and suitable replacement parts are no longer available. Whether that time is long or short depends on factors far beyond the equipment manufacturers control, and often beyond the device maker's control as well.  I have little trouble finding most replacement solid state devices for equipment that's well over thirty years old - although I may well have to do some minor circuit modification to make it work as it should. Fortunately, it appears exact or near exact components for my pet rigs should be available for quite a while.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E