[TenTec] Orion

Tommy aldermant at alltel.net
Wed Jul 7 21:05:01 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Rasmussen" <wb8yqj at yahoo.com>
To: <tentec at contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 7:06 PM
Subject: [TenTec] Orion

> Speaking of fit and finish, are Orion owners
> happy with that display?

Absolutely. I have no need for anything more. But then I enjoy operating the
radio, rather than looking at a screen.

> One guy said it takes a while to warm up and then the
> contrast is varied.

If you mean the screen, then the answer is no and yes. The screen on my two
Orions show  no signs of any 'warm up' period. My original Orion has a fan
installed in the top (replaced the standard speaker) and the screen is the
same after an hours operation as it is when I turn it on. My second Orion
has no fan and the left side of it's screen darkens slightly after about 5
or 10 minutes of operation.

 Also wondering if any Orion owners
> have suggested that Ten Tec line up the labels on the
> right screen edge?

I never noticed that. I do notice, however, that when I punch something like
the noise reduction button, the centered signal amplitude holds very steady
but all of the surrounding noise goes away. I think thats a nice trade off.

 Seems like a simple item there.

I don't think, at this point, there is anything 'simple' about the Orion.

> Last thing, is the meter still going to full stop on
> TX or has that been changed?

Yes,that has been changed. The meter goes to the power level that you have
it's output set for and stays there while your transmitting. If you happen
to have it set for 100, then the needle will go to that position and hold it
for as long as your transmitting. If your power level is set for 25 watts,
the needle will hold that value for the time your transmitting.