[TenTec] Sherwood DR top 10 list [Was: Why is the Jupiter better?]

Duane Grotophorst n9dg at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 7 21:22:40 EDT 2004

I've been wondering where the Corsair and Corsair II
fall (@ 2Khz) in that table. It's also a bit curious
that the Atlas 350-XL and KW TS-820 weren't included
in the list below, they have very good DR numbers in
the main table as well. The main table:

http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

In that table the "Corsair" comes in at 79 dB @ 3Khz.
I have also often wondered how the Corsair II
compares, it is a significantly different design in
the areas that would impact these DR figures. On the
air I cannot tell any significant difference between
the two though. The main reason I have the Corsairs is
to get the very low phase noise performance. The
Corsair has one one of the best phase noise figures in
that table. Its dBc/Hz phase noise at 5 Khz is some
10-20 dB better than many of the other radios on that
same list are at a 10-20 Khz. Phase noise performance
may not be as big a deal on HF but on VHF+ it really
does matter. So operationally I use the Pegs for ~90%
of the Q's that I make and then use the Corsair RX for
the few Q's where I really do need its better DR and
phase noise performance. I also get an extra RX to
park on a strategic freqency to boot.

Duane
N9DG

--- Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw at Blomand.Net>