[TenTec] An example of changing Orion firmware to meet expectations of the operator.

Ten-Tec Inc. Amateur Radio Sales sales at tentec.com
Thu Jul 8 10:10:47 EDT 2004

At 05:38 PM 7/7/04 -0400, you wrote:

>It worked incorrectly from the beginning,
>i.e. BW was transferred, but PBT wasn't,
>making even the former useless.
>

>73,
>
>Sinisa  YT1NT, VA3TTN

No, that is not correct - it was by design.  We designed the two receivers,
and the
two VFO's, to be completely independent entities on the Orion.  This is
also why there
is no SPLIT button on the transceiver.   The A>B, B>A, and A/B buttons were
orignially intended to transfer frequency information ONLY between VFO's.

But.....

See, when we created the Orion, we had the notion that because we were
making the
receivers assignable to either VFO and that they were independent of the
same, that
functions should be seperate for each receiver - because VFO's are not
receivers.
BW and PBT are receiver functions, not VFO functions.   Each receiver is
independent
of each VFO - therefore functions on one receiver should not transfer to
the opposite
VFO when changes are made by the user.

However....

We were unsuccessful in explaining this Orion concept to the amateur community:

-- VFO's are not receivers --

....and as a result have been slowly abandoning the original philosophy
behind the
Orion's VFO/receiver independent design and modifying the firmware to meet the
expectations of the users of the radio.  And that's what firmware updates
are for.

Scott Robbins W4PA

Ten-Tec, Inc., 1185 Dolly Parton Pkwy, Sevierville, TN 37862 USA
   Contact Mon-Fri Eastern: Office/Tech (865) 453-7172 9 am-5 pm.
   Repair (865) 428-0364 8-4.  Sales (800) 833-7373 9 am-5:30 pm.
   Fax (865) 428-4483 24 hrs.  Visit us at <http://www.tentec.com>
   Email:  New product sales/product info         sales at tentec.com
              Service department                         service at tentec.com
   While we make every effort to answer email in an expedient manner,
   the telephone is a much more efficient tool for getting a quicker and
   more complete answer to your inquiries.  Thanks!