[TenTec] Argonaut V & Jupiter Firmware

Ten-Tec Inc. Amateur Radio Sales sales at tentec.com
Thu Jul 8 14:18:16 EDT 2004

At 10:05 AM 7/8/04 -0400, you wrote:

>What about the Jupiter, please?
>
>If a decision is made to abandon firmware development will TenTec
>allow sufficient access to the necessary data so that users may
>make their own mods?  (We are Hams and such tinkering is in the
>"bones".)

Really, it's too early to tell.

We don't have any plans to stop working on the firmware for the
Jupiter, or to discontinue the radio, or to release the internal DSP
code either.  The release of the innards of DSP code is a question for
off in the future - it's too early for us to speculate now on whether
we'd do that for a discontinued piece of equipment.

>Given that the Orion, and what comes after that, are significantly
>different in hardware and software it is doubtful that any
>competitive advantage would be risked in so doing.

That's possibly true - and probably will be more true as time passes.
But until the Jupiter is discontinued it's a moot point, and its
discontinuance is not coming in the near future.

What might be more of a future question is how much tech support we
could be expected to provide for hacking DSP code in a discontinued
transceiver - no answer for that one, really.  But that could certainly be
a factor in any later decision to make the DSP code available.  Years
from now, I'll suppose we'll have to decide all of this.

That's a question for our service department at service at tentec.com
or (865) 428-0364.

73
Scott Robbins W4PA

Ten-Tec, Inc., 1185 Dolly Parton Pkwy, Sevierville, TN 37862 USA
   Contact Mon-Fri Eastern: Office/Tech (865) 453-7172 9 am-5 pm.
   Repair (865) 428-0364 8-4.  Sales (800) 833-7373 9 am-5:30 pm.
   Fax (865) 428-4483 24 hrs.  Visit us at <http://www.tentec.com>
   Email:  New product sales/product info         sales at tentec.com
              Service department                         service at tentec.com
   While we make every effort to answer email in an expedient manner,
   the telephone is a much more efficient tool for getting a quicker and
   more complete answer to your inquiries.  Thanks!