[TenTec] An example of changing Orion firmware to meet expectations of the operator.

Merle Bone merlebone at charter.net
Thu Jul 8 20:29:40 EDT 2004

Phil Howlett said: " the way the radio is now it is user vicious."

The Orion is my first Ten-Tec rig and I enjoy reading this reflector and
often learn things from it.  I have to say that I think Phil's comment
should be nominated for the "hyperbole" of the last 12 months - and there
have been many other really exaggerated statements here on the Ten-Tec
reflector. I've used other radios that had a "split function" and I really
don't have any problem (Or take more then a few seconds) pushing A>B
followed by Transmit>B and then tuning up - or down - to the split transmit
frequency (Often a frequency spread).

I work DX all of the time - both SSB and CW. The idea that a "split
function" makes the Paragon (Or any other "ham market" transceiver) "an
order of magnitude better then the Orion," for working DX (For any but
Phil), could also be a "runner up hyperbole."

Ten-Tec's "new theoretical model" for a radio is very interesting. I would
hate to see us lose some new capability because of holding on to an old
technical model (Like all general coverage receivers - which yield up
conversion and wide roofing filters). I don't think cars with wooden spoke
wheels would have gotten us "superhighways."

I hope Ten-Tec continues to think "outside the box" to produce radios with
unmatched performance, like the Orion. If they do, I might buy my second
Ten-Tec rig.

Merle
W0EWM