[TenTec] An example of changing Orion firmware to meetexpectations of the operator.

Duane A Calvin ac5aa at juno.com
Thu Jul 8 22:50:31 EDT 2004

Well, I wouldn't call it "user vicious!"  Actually, I forwarded this idea
to Scott a while back and he seemed receptive to it.  As Pete mentioned,
if the menu setting is set for tracking, then A>B and dial up - not too
bad.  Of course, one must play with the audio setting to get the ears
right, but I currently have RX A to both ears, and RX B to right ear -
that way I can pick up the DX station more easily (I definitely want the
DX stn on Rx A because that's the guy I *have* to hear.  The pileup is
more easily managed in the lesser RX.  Anyway, I think a solution along
these lines provides what we DXers need for quick QSK offsets.  I can't
tell you how many times I have bagged a DX station when he first
announces an offset and with my Omni I could get there very quickly while
others were figuring out how to copy VFO's, dial in offset, hit the
"Split" button, etc.

I've also found Gary to be fairly receptive to thoughtful input to
'ditsnbits.'

For what it's worth....

        73,  Duane