[TenTec] Omni VI+ destined as a classic?

Ben K8DIT benk8dit at callatg.com
Sat Jul 10 02:05:32 EDT 2004

For all the grousing and griping hams did when the Omni VI+ was current
model, I have a feeling that the classic status will be amongst hams who
recognize it and value it as such.
Ive heard a gaggle of hams over the years who bought these rigs and for
whatever reason, didn't like them at all. Even on CW I remember hearing
complaints of birdies,
off frequency problems, audio, keyer and you'd think that almost every other
higher end rig was better in most ways.
Then there was another gaggle of hams who never owned one but spoke highly
of the Omni VI having used one briefly at someone else's shack or field day,
but for other reasons never took a personal interest in having one.
While its always nice to hear another Omni VI on the air whose owner loves
it, I've never quite understood why they didn't outsell everything made by
the import radio companies. Why even the guy I bought mine from went and
bought a high end Yaesu, as did the ham he bought it from.
While I believe my radio has seen its last owner, Im not sure I wouldn't
trade it in toward an Orion or its successor some day.
I just worked K9OT/FP on 30m CW who recognized me as a fellow TT
reflectoree, its nice to belong to a group of ops who share a common
interest.
It is a jewel amongst the background of pedestrian performing rigs. Ten Tec
rigs have always emphasized performance over lesser meaningful features and
the reason I like it.