[TenTec] Orion Lost Audio - Please HELP

Tommy aldermant at alltel.net
Sun Jul 11 18:23:32 EDT 2004

It has not been confirmed by TT whether it is a hardware or firmware issue.
Having updated firmware for a year now, I can tell you that it started
happening with one firmware upgrade. It has been discussed on the reflector
, the information has been sent to ditsnbits, and other parties have
reported it to TT. It happens, but not too often, if your running the Orion
barefoot. It happens often if your driving an amp using the Keying Loop,
that is, if you have an amp in the TX OUT/TX EN full QSK loop, operating CW.
I can not tell you if it also happens  in SSB or digital modes. Part of the
problem, and possibly why it has not been corrected yet, is that is is
random in nature. You can not simply connect an amp, push the key, and the
Orion fail. The majority of time, it is accompanied by a loud popping noise
in the left audio channel. Most of the time, while running an amp, you can
almost complete a full QSO, if your lucky, if your not lucky, you will lose
the rcvr audio at some inopportune moment. This has for sure been observed
on more than just two Orion's.

Tom - W4BQF