[TenTec] Orion Losing RX Audio

Duane A Calvin ac5aa at juno.com
Mon Jul 12 10:05:26 EDT 2004

YES!!  He simply wasn't hearing me with low power, and was handing out a
lot of 539 reports, so since my 17m antenna is a 80/40m vertical, I knew
I need to use all the power I had (well, 600w worth anyway - no sense
making the neighbors get restless!).

OK on the SubRX -- that is what I had (a LOT) with the Orion I used last
fall, but that would have been on earlier firmware.  I updated it twice I
think in the 4 weeks I had it.  It did not appear to be related to use of
the amp, and made the SubRX practically useless.  Again, I wrote this off
to shipping damage, and reported it to the next user.  It was to be used
for TT's video, but I looked at the one on the resulting video, and I
think they swapped in a different one because the one I had had some
distinguishing marks on the Orion emblem that would make it easy to spot
and would be almost impossible to repair.

OK, will keep an eye out for it Tommy, and will report any problem to
ditsnbits and let you know.  BTW I discovered another problem this
weekend and reported it.  Small issue.  Because the Orion does not change
the frequency display when the RIT or XIT are engaged, the frequency
reported back via software incorrectly reflects only the frequency
displayed.  It should be adding the +/- RIT offset.  I believe this
worked correctly on the Omni VI+.

        73,  Duane