[TenTec] Orion VFO vs RX philosophy

Martin Ewing martin at aa6e.net
Mon Jul 12 11:47:18 EDT 2004

Mark has a great point.  Frequency step is clearly a "VFO" property, but
it is assigned to the main/sub receiver.  You might (or might not) say
the same for RIT and XIT.  Anything that sets or modifies the frequency
is a VFO thing?

I think TT has admitted that their design philosophy is not "pure" --
and it has been changing as a result of all our various ad hoc
complaints and suggestions.  So "VFOs are not receivers" is a nice
theoretical statement, it is not completely true in practice.

People can adapt to the controls as they are without too much trouble.
This is not a flame, but it is interesting to think about how things
could have been different.

The front panel layout adds to the confusion.  The main/sub RX buttons
are placed between the VFO A/B tuning knobs.  If you're a purist and
want the VFOs to be mentally separate from the receivers, the layout
should reflect this.    Maybe the VFO A/B buttons at the left should
have been grouped with the tuning knobs, too.

If you want to stress the "symmetry" of VFO A & B, the LCD display
should be different.  The two frequencies might have the same font size,
and there should be some graphic cue that shows main/sub RX/TX connected
to VFO A or B.  The info is there now, but it is not organized according
to this philosophy.

If you had a more powerful LCD display, you could put up an RX/TX/VFO
block diagram that shows signal flow, levels, filtering, etc. for tx and
rx.  Not to mention AGC settings! I think that could be a lot friendlier
for users.  The current bandpass graphics are a step in that direction,
but they are crude.

The software defined radio, with all its flexibility, is fine for full
software control, but breaks down if you want a classical control panel
(like I do).  That is, unless you allow the buttons and switches to be
dynamically reprogrammable.  Hard to do that with engraved labels!  Each
button needs its own little title display... (Or, maybe we should have
more black-on-black labelling!)

Fun to speculate on this stuff, but there's a limit to what we can
expect from TT.  They can't make radical changes to the user interface
without breaking compatibility (user expectations) in the installed
base.  Maybe we can influence Orion II, however.

73 - Martin