[TenTec] Omni VI+ classic

Tommy aldermant at alltel.net
Tue Jul 13 16:02:12 EDT 2004

Of course, the days of us opening up a rig and saliva start dripping from
the corners of our mouth, with the antipication of digging into it to
'improve' it, basically are over.

If you really want to see a very professional mechanical design package,
just open the covers on an Orion. This mechanical design, without  a doubt,
is the best thought out mechanical design I think I have ever seen in an
amateur radio. It uses a motherboard concept. The motherboard lies in the
center of the chassis and all of the sub-boards, both in the upper deck and
the lower deck, plug into the motherboard. The result is an extremely clean
system set up. The ONLY cables you see are the black coax signal carrying
cables for most of the  functional PC boards. The few exceptions are a few
wires to the RF power module and the top mounted speaker wires.

It is so well done, it makes you NOT want to mess with it!!

In my opinion, Ten Tec deserves a 'BEST EVER' design award for this
mechanical design.

Tom - W4BQF