[TenTec] Omni VI+ classic

NJ0IP Rick at dj0ip.de
Tue Jul 13 23:07:13 EDT 2004

It's worse than you describe, Dan.

The fact is that most of the time the problems we incurr are intermittant.
You send your YaeKenCom in for repair and 5 or 6 weeks later, (if you are
lucky), it is returned with the same intermittant failure.

All my life I prided myself in saying I never had or saw a broken piece of
ham gear which I couldn't fix.  Then one time, when I had a brand new
Kenwood which was acting up, due to work overload (lots of overtime), I
decided to take advantage of my warranty.  I sent the intermittant Kenwood
in for guarantee repair.  It returned with the same problem.  I sent it a
total of 4 times to those morons.  Finally I took a weekend and just got in
there and found and fixed the problem myself.  It was really a strange
problem which I had never (ever) seen before, but man, I fixed it in one
weekend.  Kenwood would probably have needed a lightyear.

Over the years I heard this type of story over and over again.  Luckilly I
ran Ten-Tec all the time so 3 or 4 times in the past 25 years (since that
Kenwood story), I had to fix my rig myself.

I live in Munich Germany.  The fastest Ten-Tec ever got the spare parts to
me was 4 days.  The slowest was 7 days.  The radio was always fixed the next
day.

Who was that asking why to buy a Jupiter instead of a Pro II?  Of ALL the
reasons, this is probably the best.

By the way, I think I shall retire from the radio repair business.  I
ordered one of those new Inrad filter kits for the Orion.  I opened the
plastic bag, strained my eyes and thought I could just barely see something
resembling an SMD capacitor.  I've outsourced the project!  My old eyes have
put me out of the repair business!

73
Rick