[TenTec] Omni VI+ classic

Ben K8DIT benk8dit at callatg.com
Wed Jul 14 10:16:13 EDT 2004

I had in succession a TS 120, 430, 440 and 570D/G. All nice radios. In this
mix I also had the TS 520 and 530. I also used a FT 757 and an IC 735.
Between 85-2000 I was your average transciever user on HF split between SSB
and CW. I lived in Wa. and Hi. in this time span. I never had any problem
with any of them and would still be using them had I not discovered there
lay a huge chasm of performance and pleasure with the first Ten Tec rig I
sampled, my Omni VI/Opt1.

It was obviously my first upper level rig. Not top of the line in terms of
the most expensive of what was available in 2000, but far and away the next
level up from what I was using. Yes, I had initial difficulties getting the
O6 to work properly, but nothing extraordinary relative to my previous rigs.
I sought the rewards promised of moving to a more responsive rig. I was
totally impressed with how the design approach fit my operating style and
the contrast of reciever in s/n and tuning with regards to selectivity.
Also, in my increased productivity on cw with ease of listening and qsk, the
responsiveness of the company to my needs in terms of fixing my problems on
my own. Finally the open design and quality of the parts, pieces and boards
I attempted to repair.

To me, this is ham radio in all its glory. I then happily set aside the
others and sought to acquire other Ten Tec rigs for my contiued edification
in their style/approach to ham radio. I now use a Scout mobile with a Metron
amp. I have also been pleased with the Jupiter . I bought a Centurion from
an estate sale and have been pleased with its performance.

At the moment my succession of rigs and antennas is at a peak in terms of
trial and progression. Ive also had a happy run of boatanchor experiences
that Im grateful to have experienced.  Having brought them back to operating
specs has shown me that my Ten Tec rigs have a qualitative lineage to other
brands in other eras.