[TenTec] Redesigning the filter section of the Orion IF

Richard Detweiler rdetweil at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 15 00:07:47 EDT 2004

Hi Lee,

I think the reason for INRAD going with the 600 hz filter is that 600Hz is
about as narrow as it can get with out the need for amplification.

Using the 600 Hz filter does reduce the signal by a small amount compared to
the 1Khz filter,  the 500 Hz filter would do reduce it more than is
acceptable.

That is the trade off with filters.

I  use the 600 Hz filter for general CW work and the 250Hz filter for
contests.

The Orion does not seem to have that ringing from static crashes,  it's just
a pop and over.  That is real good when trying to copy weak signals.

73's
rich
K5SF