[TenTec] Re: Bird Meter Question (James C. Owen, III)

Tom North tomnorth at airmail.net
Thu Jul 15 09:25:06 EDT 2004

Would also like to comment here that *any* analog movement will invariably
have its highest degree of accuracy in the middle third of its physical (as
opposed to scale) range, perhaps another consideration for the 250 slug with
a '100W' rig.
GL & 73,
Tom  N5OZQ

   If you ever anticipate getting an amplifier I advise you to
keep the 1000H slug. I would recommend that in place of the 100H
slug you ask about, that instead you get a 250H. Why? Most of the
common 100W output rigs have more than 100 watts. With a 100H it
would be pegged all the time. With a 250 full scale it will be in
the 60-70% of FS most of the time. Just remember the accuracy is
5% of FS so with 100 watts indicated and a 250H slug the power
can be +/- 12.5 watts where with the 100H and reading 100 watts
or  less you will be +/- 5 watts. A trade off but I still
recommend the 250H.    The only way to get better accuracy and in
the long run a cheaper overall cost is to fine a good used 4410
watt meter. These use only one slug to cover 7 decades of power
and the accuracy is 5% of READING. The cost is a little more for
the meter and one slug but since the one slug does the work of
seven it's really cheaper. I have one of each, keep the 43 on the
bench as a quick check and use the 4410 to calibrate and
accurately measure actual operation.