[TenTec] SGC ADSP2

Vic Klein vhklein at ptd.net
Fri Jul 16 12:25:45 EDT 2004

Not the SGC, but coming across a deal on a ClearSpeech speaker, I picked
that up and removed the DSP circuitry to install in my Paragon with good
results. I have had a ClearSpeech speaker in my mobile rig and have been
very pleased with it. I have the matching 961 power supply/speaker for my
Paragon, which sounds better than the speaker supplied as the ClearSpeech
system, and I didn't want an additional speaker on the table. The DSP board
was removed from the ClearSpeech box and fit well inside the 961 using a
couple of long standoff screws and existing ventilation holes in the bottom
of the supply. Wiring to the 12v jacks was easy, as was wiring from the
speaker line from the radio and to the speaker on the front panel, and I
rewired the front panel power switch to enable/disable the DSP unit, since
Ten Tec rigs control the supply remotely. I did make one change by adding a
couple of small SPDT relays I had in the junk box on a small perf board to
completely bypass the DSP board and disable power to it when not in use, so
when the unit is off, the speaker is connected directly to the Paragon as
before and draws no additional current.

The results have been great. The ClearSpeech DSP is remarkable and adapts to
just about any noise in about a second, including, as I found out, induced
60 cycle hum on the board picked up by proximity to the big transformaer in
the power supply. Hetrodynes and white noise are quickly all but eliminated
and makes for very pleasant listing in rough conditions. I can send a
Word-formatted copy of the simple schematic for the relays if you need that.

 =Vic=
WA4THR

> Hi folks -
> I have an SGC2020/ADSP2 that I am very pleased with (considering the
purpose it was designed for of course).  I also have a Ten Tec > Omni VI+
which includes some DSP vintage 1996.
>   The more recent design of the ADSP2 is really, for my ears, far superior
to the older technology on the Omni DSP - plus it has the 3 >  DSP filters.
If I knew how I would be very interested in installing an ADSP2 board in an
Omni VI+. Has anyone here tried this or know > enough to suggest, in
layman's terms, where/how it would be installed on the TT? I doubt I will
hear much response but that extra > > > 100Hz dsp filter on the Omni would
be very effective.