[TenTec] IC-7800 Expanded Test Report

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jul 19 07:08:55 EDT 2004

Hi Mario,

 >W0IYH in QEX nicely explains cost/performance
trade-offs with narrow front-end crystal filters.  I am surprised that
purists are not buying more 200 $ crystal filters at the antenna input!?

         Unfortunately, as Icom, Yaesu and Inrad have all discovered, it is
not so simple to find a 500 Hz BW filter for $200 at 45-65 MHz.  If you
find one for $200, I would be very happy with my 20 year old TS-930S and
would have no need for anything better.  Inrad, after a lot of hard work,
finally found a 4 kHz filter for their FT-1000MP mod but I am not aware of
any 500 Hz filters for $200 at typical First IF frequencies.

                                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV