[TenTec] Omni VI+ destined as a classic?

NJ0IP Rick at dj0ip.de
Mon Jul 19 22:42:49 EDT 2004

Dave, it's horses for courses (different strokes for different folks).  I
dislike the TS-850 mostly because of ergonomics.  I have poor eyesight and
find the knobs very tiny and difficult to use.  I don't like black or dark
gray radios (my biggest gripe against the Orion).

If you lived in Europe, you would quickly change your mind about which is
the better radio.  Without some filters (either preselector or Dunestar,
etc.), the TS-850 is an expert in producing "Wave Salid" (as they call it in
Germany) on 40m.  I think the term "Cement Mixer" which Richy mentioned
might be a close approximation to what you hear - though it surprised me
that someone heard that on the other side of the Atlantic.  I still think
Richy's 850 was broken.

I'm an active member of the BCC who [unfortunatley] many years ago chose the
850 as their standard radio.  As a result I am forced to use them a lot more
than I care to.  Having said that, we still get excellent results out of the
radio - although most of the ones I've used have been modified.  One thing
it does have is probably the best autotuner on the market.

I liked the 57 Chevy's and the 67 Corvettes and the old SL Mercedes.  Like
the Drake Line, S-Line, TS-850/930, you can't buy them anymore.  Though it's
fun to dream of our toys of the past, if you are in the market for a good
new or almost new radio, there's not much choice for serious DXers or
Contesters.  I think Ten-Tec will rule the next 3 or 4 years until the JA
vendors wake up and listen to typical hams.

73
Rick