[TenTec] RE; IC-7800, TS-850S, OMNI VI+, etc.

Arthur Bernstein n2ka at optonline.net
Tue Jul 20 02:41:48 EDT 2004

I've been following the continuing  discussions about comparisons
between the IC-7800, Orion, OMNI VI, TS-850 and the like.
First, let me say I've owned an OMNI VI (Ver. 3) since before it was
nicely updated by Tentec. I think its a great radio, though it does have
some faults. When it comes to a combination of performance and ease of
use, I've never operated a radio any better. I'm primarily a weak
signal, 160 meter operator with some strong signal work on 20 meters
too. I'm not an engineer, nor do I have the ability to do dynamic
testing of a radio, but I do understand the specifications splashed
about on the various radios on the market. I nearly bought a TS-850S,
but  purchased an FT-990 instead. It didn't last long with me and was
replaced by an OMNI VI within one month of purchase. GOOD MOVE.

What struck me about the description given by one gentleman about his
TS-850 was its pedestrian, appliance operator review. He really liked
his radio. Nothing wrong with that! Perhaps the old adage of ignorance
(nothing personal, please) being bliss is accurate with radios. If you
don't know what to expect or what you are missing, you may think what
you have is tops. And, in fact, for your particular mode of operation,
it may be all you really need!! For those of us who are more demanding,
critical and perhaps more technical in our expectations, there are many
radios behind in the dust.
As a segue toward the IC-7800 discussion. I read the "reviews" in QST. I
think, for the most part, these "reviews" lacked the meat of earlier
reviews. They seemed to have a greater bent toward the less technical
amongst us. They smacked of many of the old CQ "reviews" which I often
felt were rehashings of the manufacturer's literature. They were well
written, but didn't tell us much  more than the manufacturer's
literature did. Kind of schilling for the manufacturer?
Finally, one last comment about DSP. Remember, I'm not an engineer. The
latest and greatest DSP (I don't want to hear about 24, 32 bit,
etc.)--where is being placed? Pre or post detector? I know that post
detection DSP (as in external AF DSP boxes) suffer from AGC vagaries and
the ensuing pumping in the receiver from close in strong signals. Has
this been overcome with newer DSP applications? I beleive the OMNI VI
has its limited DSP in the audio chain. I can see where roofing filters
can help in eliminating strong  close in signals pre detection. The
roofing filter concept  was introduced to me in the '70's with my self
modified R-4C.
Sorry for the ramble. Just need to put in my 12 cents worth.
73,
Art, N2KA..