[TenTec] RE; IC-7800, TS-850S, OMNI VI+, etc.

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 20 14:14:05 EDT 2004

<<<What struck me about the description given by one gentleman about his
TS-850 was its pedestrian, appliance operator review. He really liked
his radio. Nothing wrong with that! Perhaps the old adage of ignorance
(nothing personal, please) being bliss is accurate with radios. If you
don't know what to expect or what you are missing, you may think what
you have is tops. And, in fact, for your particular mode of operation,
it may be all you really need!! For those of us who are more demanding,
critical and perhaps more technical in our expectations, there are many
radios behind in the dust.>>>

It's ironic how apparently, if you prefer the Omni, or some
other Ten Tec (implied), you are "...more demanding, critical
and perhaps more technical..."  Art speculates that a preference for
the TS850 is based on inexperience with other rigs, i.e. if you favor a
non-Ten Tec rig, it's because you have not operated anything else such
as a Ten Tec.

Fine.

Let have a show of hands:

How many have commented negatively on the IC7800 and have never
operated it?

How many here have hollered that people commenting negatively on the
Orion are people who have never operated it?

My dual standard detector is buzzing again.

"But, but, the ... the specs are out!"

Ut ut ut..sorry. No exceptions are allowed.  Play fair.  You made
the rules.  Therefore only people who
own an IC7800 are allowed to bash it.  I believe someone here was saying
the same thing about Orion a few weeks ago, and now we have Art's
logic to fall back on.

Rob/K5UJ

BTW, if you want to think of the Omni VI as a phone rig, you really should
give it
a monitor circuit.

Any opinions on the Delta II?  Known among some as a great rig.