[TenTec] Orion vs Omni 6+ agc

n4lq n4lq at iglou.com
Mon Jul 26 13:23:07 EDT 2004

The agc in the Omni 6+ seems to handle QRN better than the Orion no
matter how much I fiddled with all those agc menu settings, cw characters
would get blipped out on my Orion. The ProII was better but the Omni 6+
out does them both in that respect. As a matter of fact, the 6+ has the
first AGC I have ever seen that works correctly in "fast" mode. No
overshoot at all. I just leave it on fast.

After the cable 52 removal mod, the Omni 6+ has a sidetone with such
purity that brings tears to the eyes. But best of all, there are no
clicks, thumps, grunts or groans in the headphones when running QSK.

So I don't see the 6+ becoming a back up rig for some time now.