[TenTec] Paragon II interface problem solved --> Early version of Paragon II manual

Edward A. Feustel efeustel at direcway.com
Tue Jul 27 06:39:22 EDT 2004

Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions.

My manual for the Paragon II was dated 10/93.
It said that the II emulated the IC-735. This is FALSE.
VE1BN's manual dated 5/94 said that the II emulated the IC-765. This is TRUE.
The OMNI-6 also appears to be an appropriate emulation.

The difference between the two emulations is in the responses to queries.
The two manuals mentioned have incorrect information regarding the responses
(at least with our microcode versions). The correct information for the
response is:

FEh FEh SA RA OC Data FDh where OC appears to be the command received by the Paragon II
causing the response.

These responses were determined using the XMLog debugging program. (Thanks to Mike!)

Further, frequency data is not in 4 bytes (the old standard frequency format) but in
5 bytes (the new standard frequency format). Again thanks to Mike who provided a critical
error message and information on the new frequency format.

Once I used the IC-765 format, everything worked well. I'll be working to verify that
the OMNI-6 emulation works in all cases of interest.

Also, Paragon II users may want to note that CdE mode corresponds to the Paragon II's
matrix mode.

If anyone knows where a late edition Paragon II manual is on line, I would appreciate
the opportunity to study it and see where it differs from mine.

Thanks again for the help.

Ed, N5EI