[TenTec] RE: Adding Digital a Digital display to the Argo 509

Frank Sanfilippo wb2tdt at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 29 09:38:14 EDT 2004

Hello all,
I would like to share some info with the list that I have gathered in my quest to add a digital display to Arogonaut 509.
The 509 has a sort of band imaging scheme that takes the local oscillator frequency and multiplies 1,2 or 3 times depending on the band:

BAND                      OSC FREQ.                  MULTIPLE            INJ FREQ.

3.5                           6.250-6.500                    X2                       12.5-13.0
7.0                           5.333-5.500                    X3                       16.0-16.5
14.0                         5.000-5.500                    X1                        5.0-5.5
21.0                         6.000-6.250                    X2                        12.0-12.5
28.0                         6.333-7.000                    X3                        19.0-21.0

You will also see that depending on the band you either add or subtract your 9 MhZ IF frequency from the injection frequency and you get your operating frequency.

So you will need a display that has a 9MhZ offset and can be configured to add or subtract from the injection frequency. The AADE DFD 1series will. I contacted Neil Hecht at AADE. Neil has explained that he didn't know of an application for the Argo however he did have it for the Triton: http://www.aade.com/Applic~1.htm#triton
In looking at the Triton oscillator it is basically identical to the Argo except for the the type of transistor each uses (probably what was available at the time of mfr.)
I ended up purchasing the DFD1A from Neil and installing it in my 509 and am very happy to say it works quite well. You connect just like you would in the Triton and the most convenient connection point in the 509 is on the TX/RX mixer board at the "VFO" pin.
Thanks for the bandwith and hope this helps others on the list,
Frank