[TenTec] Question for Contesters:

Richard Detweiler rdetweil at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 8 14:44:21 EDT 2004

Some good comments on SDR,

Yet,  I Don't think I would look at SDR vs Non SDR for contesting,

I would look at contesting functionality, and budget.  For functionality
ease of use, quick acquisition of signal,  and Filtering abilities.  I'd
also consider strongly the ability to handle SSB, CW and digial mode
contesting.  Some only do well in one mode but lack in the others.

I'm no expert, but contesting seems to be less demanding on receiver
performance but far more demanding on filtering abilities.

It doesn't appear that SDR can improve certain recieve and transmit
performance parameters,  This area is hardware in that it depends on the
first input stages and the quality of the tranmsit finals.  this will always
set the radio's performance characteristics.

SDR can help improve ability of manufacturer to make changes in
functionality by Improved DSP filtering,  altering Computer interfacing,
Improving quick QSY, signal aquisition and future modes of operation.

The Jupiter and the Orion are both SDR,  Yet both have different performance
and different markets and budgets.

My 2 Cents worth.

73's
Rich